I believe climate action and sustainability must be at the forefront of all of Council’s decisions. Every component of my Rise Together platform is a commitment to climate action.
If re-elected, I am committed to explicit advocacy on climate action in the following areas:
- Continuing to invest in public transit, including the full build-out of the Green Line, the delivery of the Route Ahead, and the return to pre-COVID levels of service as soon as possible.
- Meeting and exceeding our multi-modal transportation targets through the establishment of generational investments in the Accessibility, Livable Streets, and 5A Network Fund.
- Continuing to introduce and reinforce policies and investments that support the increasing redevelopment of existing communities, rather than continued unsustainable growth on the City’s edge.
- Implementing a Calgary Carbon Budget, modelled off Edmonton’s policy, which refocuses financial decision-making within a carbon accounting framework.
- Designing and delivering a broad suite of programs, like the Clean Energy Improvement Program and the Renfrew Solar Garden, under Calgary’s Climate Resilience Strategy to facilitate energy efficiency and carbon reduction throughout residential, commercial and industrial sectors.
- Committing to a climate leadership position through active membership in international coalitions, like the Cities Race to Zero and third party verification to audit our progress.
- Understanding the relationship between poverty reduction and climate action to help secure a prosperous and just recovery for everyone coming out of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Conversations with Carra: Food Security & Urban Agriculture in YYC
Missed Gian-Carlo's conversation with the Leftovers Foundation, Rooted, Highfield Farm and Fresh Routes on the benefits and challenges of working towards food security in YYC and the role of agriculture in cities? Watch it here.
Do you like this page?